Thursday, July 16, 2009

The need

Depressing. I left this perfectly good blog to languish all these eight months. Sorry blog. I <3 you.

This morning has been rough, so about 20 minutes ago, I designated today a "shoe day". I usually reserve shoe days for when I'm hungover and need to let my brain lie dormant while I appear to work. I'm not hungover today, but I've been working really hard lately, and I just need to relax, ok?

Endless.com is my favorite site to troll for shoes. I used to like zappos.com, but the site itself lacks endless.com's polish and ease of use. Also, I think that endless.com's selection is better, and you can't beat free overnight shipping.

What I really *need* is a pair of closed toe, black, patent leather flats for fall and winter, but what I really *want* is a pair of ridiculous cut out booties. At first I took issue with this trend. Why would anybody want a pair of boots with holes cut in them? That's quite counterintuitive to staying warm in winter. Alas, there isn't a functional angle to this trend, just a cute one. So I'm down with it. But I also don't want to spend a lot of money on a pair of shoes that will more than likely be relegated to the gauche bin after one season. So, it is with much sadness that I say no to all of these.



These Boots by Velvet Angels are pretty hot, completely impractical and much too expensive, but hot. Ahh, I remember the day when I could wear five inch heels with abandon. I'm 5'5"ish, and everybody in my office thought I was 5'9"ish. I guess they never really noticed that I was wearing ridiculous heels every day. One day, I stepped out of one of my shoes and one of my coworkers was like, "Holy crap, you're short!" Great observation there, Sherlock. Same thing happened with my husband. I wore 4 inch heels everywhere I went, so everybody just assumed I was taller. I guess I carry myself tall. Anyway. Need more coffee since I am babbling. On to the next (and off to get more coffee).



This is the first pair on the cut out booties page that caught my eye. The price tag is steep but not ridiculous. The color is less "day shift stripper" than the previous pair, as is the heel. A four inch heel with a 1 inch platform isn't too excessive, right? Right? Right, doctor who did my ankle surgery last year? And the way that this pair of shoes is designed--these could also pass for simply sandals after this trend is over. They certainly show enough skin. At any rate, don't be surprised to see me wearing these at some point this fall. I think this is going to be my next fast food moratorium save up purchase.



These badboys from LAMB are sexy as hell. They are also expensive as hell and, with that narrow, 4.5 inch stilleto heel, dangerous as hell. Walk away, Sara. Just walk away.



Ahh, Stuart Weitzman. I don't have the pleasure of owning any of his shoes, but I was really close this one time at Plaza Frontenac after I'd had a few margaritas. One thing I love about Weitzman is that he's realized that people with big feet also have plenty of money to spend on shoes, so he makes several of his designs in wide widths and extended sizes (well, extended sizes in the designer shoe world). It's very egalitarian of him. Well, everything but the price is egalitarian, but dammit, you're going to pay for quality. That being said, I unequivocally cannot see myself spending $425 on a pair of sandals that will be out next season. I can't see myself spending $425 on a pair of sandals, period. Now, boots, that's another story. But not sandal boots. Not sandal ankle boots. No way. Sorry, Stewie, thanks for trying.

Well, that was fun. Back to work, or back to shoe shopping? Who am I kidding--shoe shopping.

1 comment:

Claire Uncorked said...

So, what did you buy???